The importance of life has been always taught by nature. BIT and BEADS, Innoli, Mangalore, recognizes the interconnectedness of nature and nurture and believes both must come together for a complete and meaningful life. BIT and BEADS cherished its ninth year of World Green Building Week “GREEN WALKATHON 2018” on 30th September 2018 from Mangala Stadium to Town Hall, Mangalore. The flagging off was done at 8:30 AM by Mr. Sidhesh Kumar, Executive, Confederation of Indian Industry, Bangalore and Ar. Ashok Mendonca, Principal, BEADS Mangalore. Staff and Students of various educational institutions in and around Mangalore and People from various walks of life participated in the event. The walk concluded at Town Hall at 9:30 AM. The Program at Town Hall began with Invocation of Almighty followed by welcome address by Ar. Ashok Mendonca. In his speech, he has given the figures for carbon emission and remedies to control the same. Mr. Syed Mohammed Beary, CMD Bearys Group addressed the gathering; in his talk, he focused on Global Warming, we should understand our responsibility and maintain environmental balance, if we want sustainable development. He stressed to build an eco-friendly building and that everyone should be loyal to nature. The destroying of nature lead to floods in Kerala and Kodagu. The development cannot be achieved by cutting down the green. The Chief Guest of the function was Mr. U T Khader, Minister for Urban development and housing, in his speech he stressed on socially comfortable living requires green building and clean environment. The new building structure should emphasize water recycling, solid waste management and planting at least four plants around the house should be made mandatory for the construction of buildings. He added the new building legislation will be implemented with priority for these issues. The Following unsung heroes were felicitated.
- Swami Ekhagamyanandji, of Ramakrishna Mission, Mangalore for contribution in the field of environmental conservation and Urban cleanliness.
- Mr. Rehman Abdulla, for contribution in the field of anti-pollution drive
3. Mr. Joy Mascarenhas (snake joy), for contribution in the field of Reptile conservation.
- Mr. Shashidhar Shetty, for contribution in the field of National Environmental care federation, Legal Activism.
- Mr. Suraj Ajila, for contribution in the field of Soilless gardening, Urban Agriculture.
- Mr. Tauseef Ahmed, for contribution in the field of Animal Rescuing, Compassion to animals.
- Mr. Abdul Kareem, for contribution in the field of Forest and Biodiversity.
- Mr. Yathish Baikampady, for contribution in the field of Beaches and Tourism Project.
9. Mr. Madhava Ullal, for contribution in the field of Global Warming and tree planting, were honored.
Dr.Mahabaleshwarappa, Dean (Academic), Dr. Aziz Mustafa, Principal, BIT Polytechnic, Program Composer Ms. Rukhiyath was present.Dr. Antony AJ, Principal, BIT, delivered Vote of Thank. HODs and Faculties of BIT and BEADS were present. Mr. Sheikh Zayed and Ms. Afra Bashir compered the program. The program concluded with National Anthem.